Proposing marriage to your soon-to-be-bride is a big deal, often involving a fair amount of planning, forethought, and creativity. It’s something you will both remember forever- a story you’ll tell friends, family, children, and grandchildren. As such, there are some essential points to bear in mind as you plan this moment for the two of you. If you’re feeling ready to take this next step in your relationship, congratulations! The wedding experts at Conklyn’s Weddings are here to help you know how to make this a special memory- not just a grand gesture- that you’ll both revel in for years to come.
Some Points to Think about Ahead of Time
Consider the location and timing when preparing to pop the question. You probably don’t want to be in a rush to get somewhere, as you’ll both want a little time to revel in the bigness of the moment. Likewise, a busy or impersonal location might take a bit of the romance out of the actual question. She should be able to focus on what you’re saying, plus she may (hopefully) find herself in tears of joy! Take her somewhere quiet and meaningful to both of you, with time to spare for tears and kisses. We also recommend opting, to the best of your ability, for a location you can revisit in years to come. You’ll both want to soak it all in, too, so allow room for that. After all, you’re engaged! A minute ago you weren’t and now you are! Let the moment be a significant one.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Presenting the Engagement Ring
Do It Right
As far as actually presenting the ring to your intended, we have a few points to consider. First, make sure you’ve chosen a ring she’ll love. Here are a few suggestions about how to present the ring in creative ways:
- Do tie it on! Present her with a bouquet of flowers or small gift, and have the ring attached with a ribbon.
- Do send her searching. A scavenger hunt in which the final prize is the ring can be super fun! Just don’t hide the ring in a public place where it could be found by someone else!
- Do string her along. Give her the end of a string and have her follow it to its other end- where her ring is waiting.
- Do create a scene. Set up a beautiful spot with her favorite items, or symbols of your life together, then get down on one knee. While she’s marveling at all of your memories, you’re already making another one!
- Do bring an audience. If your partner loves being in the spotlight, then having her nearest and dearest witness this event will only make it better. Much like a surprise party, this takes some coordination but can be well worth the effort.
Please Just Don’t…
While it can be a lot of fun to plan your big moment, it’s easy to get caught up in the planning and miss some key points. With that in mind, we caution you here to avoid certain situations in which your proposal moment could go south too quickly:
- Don’t hide the ring in her food. It’s been done in movies, so it’s not creative. They also didn’t show the part where the bride chokes on the ring instead of being wowed by it. Plus, who wants to give a ring with food stuck in it?
- Don’t hide the ring in her drink, either. The choking hazard is still very real in this scenario. While it seems like a romantic gesture, is it really worth the risk?
- Don’t hide the ring, period. Unless you are absolutely certain she’ll be the one to find it, don’t hide the ring where it could get lost or stolen before she gets it.
- Don’t rely on the weatherman. If your proposal plan takes you outdoors, check the weather ahead of time to be sure you have the all-clear. Then plan a backup, indoor venue anyway, just in case.
- Don’t rely on other people at all! If your plan is contingent on someone else being in the right place at the right time, you’re running the risk of the whole thing going wrong. You don’t want to find yourself anxiously wondering if everyone is in place. Skip the drama and maintain control of the proposal plan yourself.
Whether your proposal will be quiet and intimate or involve a huge dramatic scene, it’s sure to be a defining moment in your journey through life together. Be sure you are the one taking care of the ring until it is safely on her finger throughout the event, and practice ahead of time so your nerves don’t distract from the overall point. We know you’ll be great! For more tips or encouragement about your proposal, talk to the wedding professionals at Conklyn’s Weddings. We’re so excited to hear your engagement story and help you begin planning your wedding, too!